MNPS Field Trip: Winter Tree And Shrub ID Along The Potomac River- (Rescheduled from January 11)
General Description: Carderock is a great area to see lots of common trees and shrubs in our area. We will use bark, twigs, buds, form, habitat, and other characteristics to identify woody plants in this scenic area. We'll be strolling along the C&O Canal towpath and in the woods. Parts of the trails will be rocky and possibly muddy with a stream crossing or two.
Leader: Matt Cohen
You may want to bring: Water, snacks, field guides, good hiking shoes, binoculars, note pad, camera
Note: If it's rainy or snowy, walk will be canceled. I'll send out an email in the morning if I decide to cancel the walk. Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org to be notified.
Registration: is recommended but not required.
Click here for a google map of the meeting spot.
1. From the Beltway (I-495), take exit 41 (Coming from MD, the sign will say: Carderock, Great Falls, MD. Coming from VA, the sign will say Clara Barton Pkwy, Carderock, Glen Echo.)
2. Take the Clara Barton Pkwy going west.
3. Take the next right (sign says "Carderock, Carderock Div. NavSurfWarCen").
4. Go up the ramp (you'll see an I-495 sign).
5. At the top of the ramp, go left at the stop sign.
6. Go across the bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy and continue straight into the park (don't turn at the opposite end of the bridge).
7. Follow the road as it winds and goes under the C&O canal bridge.
8. The road ends at a T. Take a right. Park in the second parking area on your left. (There are three total.)