The Maryland Botanical Heritage Work Group was reated in June 2013 (Chapter 655, Acts of 2013) to prepare a report to the General Assembly and the Governor that would define challenges, explore opportunities and make recommendations for the “preservation of plant species native to the State and the region.” Authorization for the Work Group extends through May 31, 2014. The law is included as Appendix 1. Work Group members who are not state employees received no compensation for their participation. State staff were provided from among current employees. The Work Group began its work in late August after the members had been appointed by the Governor or designated by the Secretaries of their respective agencies.
Work Group Members
- Kirsten Johnson, Chair, Maryland Native Plant Society
- Denise Clearwater, Maryland Department of the Environment
- Anne Frances, PhD, NatureServe
- Christopher Frye, State Botanist, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Wesley Knapp, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Karen Montgomery, Maryland State Senate
- Charles Rhodehamel, Columbia Association
- Shane Robinson, Maryland House of Delegates
- Jil Swearingen, Plant Conservation Alliance
- Sara Tangren, PhD
- Robert Trumbule, Maryland Department of Agriculture
- Kevin Wilsey, Maryland State Highway Administration
The Work Group thanks the following individuals for volunteering their time to provide advice and
assistance in creating this Report. The views expressed in the Report are solely those of the Work Group.